Town and Country Planning Organisation (TCPO) was set up in 1962 with the merger of the erstwhile Town Planning Organization (TPO) and Central Regional and Urban Planning Organization (CRUPO).TPO was set up in 1955 to formulate the First Master Plan for Delhi. The TPO completed the assigned task of formulation of Master Plan for Delhi in September 1962 .Subsequently in 1957, Government of India set up another organization called Central Regional and Urban Planning Organization (CRUPO) to evolve a plan for Delhi Region and to advise on the development of steel towns, river valley projects and other matters related with urban and regional planning. CRUPO started functioning activity from September 1959 in an advisory capacity to the Central Ministries of the Government of India, Planning Commission, State Governments, Local Bodies and Public Undertakings. The organization also initiated studies on various aspects of urban and regional planning and development. The first conference of State Ministers dealing with Town and Country Planning was organized by CRUPO in 1960 which made a beginning for undertaking a countrywide programme for preparation of master plans, enactment of town planning legislation, setting up of Town Planning Departments in the States and Union Territories and augmentation of facilities in education and training in town and country planning.
Thereafter Government of India decided to merge TPO and CRUPO in 1962 and the new Organisation was christened Town and Country Planning Organisation (TCPO). Since then the TCPO has been functioning as an apex technical advisory organization on matters concerning urban and regional planning and development in the country. It has been assisting the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs and other Central Ministries of the Government of India, State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings, Local Bodies/Development Authorities on matters pertaining to urbanization, town planning, urban transport, metropolitan planning, human settlement policies, regional development strategies, planning legislation, urban and regional information system, urban mapping and research and capacity building.Within the ambit of past achievements, the role of TCPO has become that of an apex technical advisory organization in the country in all matters concerning urban and regional planning and development. It is the responsibility of TCPO to provide assistance and guidance to all agencies in the country and at all levels.
The role and functions of the Town and Country Planning Organisation can be defined broadly in following distinct areas, namely:
• Policy formulation and guidance at national, regional and local levels for planning and development of urban areas of various categories ranging from small town to super-metro/mega cities
• Assistance and technical advice including implementation and monitoring of central sector projects, programmes and schemes
• Undertaking empirical research studies and evaluation of already adopted practices for wider application and replication
• Preparation of Manuals and Guides in various aspects of planning and development
• Conducting training programmes for in-service planners and urban managers in topical areas of interest for up-dating the knowledge in the field of urban and regional planning and development
• Preparation of inter-state regional plans
• Developing Urban and Regional Information System and Urban Mapping System